Monday, July 14, 2003

I have been away for the past week, but before I left I placed all of the honey supers on the three hives in the apiary. It was really less trouble than I imagined, in that the bees were pretty distracted by the warm summer day and paid little if any attention to the process. Also, I had stored the frames in a very large plastic container and the woodenware was in great shape after being used only two seasons. It was, however, very hot in my bee suit and I imagined doing the work without the veil and gloves...of course that was merely a fleeting thought.

My casual observations showed very strong colonies and plenty of brood and honey production. Typical bees doing typical summer work. I will do some photography in the hives over the next few weeks to share the fun with others.

In other news, there has been some sort of political upheaval in the local beekeeping club. The issue is over the proceeds from the honey made in the club hives (used for bee school.) Yes, even in the seemingly innocuous world of beekeeping politcs are still an issue. I hope for the sake of the organization a compromise can be reached.

No comments: