Tuesday, May 22, 2001

The bees have arrived and this past Saturday they are in their new hive. About 10,000 bees have begun to forage in and around Postfield. They have been very active and over the past few days I have seen them carrying large quantities of pollen in their leg baskets.

The transfer of the package of bees was textbook perfect, except I did lose the Queen Bee for a few minutes when I had accidently dropped her cage into the mass of bees already poured into the hive. But, all went well in the end.

Today is rainy and overcast, the bees will not be to happy and should stay in most of the day. I'll do my first hive inspection later this week. All outward signs are good this early. Unfortunately, the bees arrived fairly late (May 18th) and it will be a busy summer for the little ladies of the Postfield Honey Company.

No comments: